Friday, November 25, 2011

Why are my nails tender after putting acrylic on them?

Got my nails done yesterday, it's been a while. I noticed my fingertips are more tender. Why does this happen, and am I the only one?Why are my nails tender after putting acrylic on them?
I agree with Ellie. I just want to add that there should never be any pain or tenderness felt either during or after the application of nail enhancements. The most common reason for this is that the tech filed down your natural nail using a drill. A drill should never be used on your natural nail. Only a gentle hand filing is needed to remove the shine off of the surface of your nail.


The other reason, though less likely, is that you may have an allergic reaction to the products used in acrylic applications, such as the primer, or the monomer (the liquid).Why are my nails tender after putting acrylic on them?
I actually went to beauty school, here is the best reason I can think of,


If they used the drill they may have drilled your natural nail down too far and you could have lost a layer or two of your natural nail. When I do acrylic nails I do it all by hand and I never use a drill, drills are not needed when doing acrylic nails. A lot of people become drill happy and your nails really do not need to be drilled too much. I know that I have gone somewhere before to get my nails done and they drilled my natural nail down so far that my nails were throbbing and burning after they put the acrylic on, this should never happen. the only reason they are supposed to drill is to shape, clean, and groom your nail. If it hurts at anytime while drilling they are not doing it right. This could cause your fingers to be tender after having acrylic nails put on. My advice for you is to watch where you get your nails done because it sounds like they filed your nails down too far. I hope this helped you
The tech may have overfiled your natural nails prepping them for the acrylics, or, more likely, overfiled the acrylics after they had been applied. This end up causing your nail beds to feel tender for a few days.
acrylic proably took of the first layer of skin and nail
The chemicals and all the things that happen when you get them put on!
no it happens to me....i dont really know why, but i think its cause your nails cant really ';breath';
Did your nail person use the drill to smooth out the acrylics? Are the nail a lot longer than the natural nail?





the drill will make them tender and the length will also make them sore...You are used to your nail being shorter so the way you are now using your fingers the tips are pulling on your natural nail bed..Does that make sense it's hard to explain in a few sentences. It's a normal reaction..they will feel better in a few days
Sounds like the manicurist was ';heavy handed'; ... no worries, you'll be fine.

7 comments:

MO said...

Thank you so much for making this information available. I get acrylic put on top of my natural nail as a protective coating, because my natural nails are so weak. I always wondered why my fingers burn if a new coating is placed on a bare nail - they're drilling my nails too much! THANKS AGAIN

Unknown said...

I've had my nails on for over a week and a few are sore?

Unknown said...

Sounds to me your not professional. And giving false advice like this is wrong. Because you lead many ppl down the wrong path. Many professionals use e files (not drills) for prepping, shaping, redesign and taking down length. If the professional isn't trained to used said efile then problems will occur. Efiles can be used on the natural nail at very low speeds almost tickling the nail to prep it. If the the nail burns when acrylic is applied. Yes the nail is either thin or the acrylic is applied to wet or too large Allowing the polymerisation process to be incorrect. Nss salons ie town nail bars. File the natural nail plate that low down as they use a different product that has to have a criss cross structure to adhere to the natural nail and filing it down allows the structure of the nail to open up. Hence why ppl come away with wafer thin nails. I hope this helps a few ppl as there is so much false accusations about good nail technicians. Have a nice day

Needing answers said...

I use to get tips and wore my nails long for a couple of years I went to a different salon and my nails became infected after removing them my natural nail was thin and looked like it had been sanded that was well over ten years ago . Today I went and had medical and pedi regular polish on toes but had tips and gel (French manicure) I enjoyed both but it’s been 6 hrs and a few of my nails are sore to the touch on the side and flusterating every time I touch it it hurts. I have never had this happen in the past and not sure what’s went wrong but, i would love input with information preferably link to verify. Any one have idea how long the pain will last? Should I have them removed ? Thanks And good luck to you all who are/ have expericed this

Unknown said...

Soak in cold water for 3 to 5 mins helps with the soreness

Unknown said...

My nails are soo sore after having acrylics and yes the technician used a nail drill. What shall I do??

Unknown said...

They shouldn't really hurt unless they are a newbie.

Post a Comment