Saturday, August 21, 2010

How can I stop picking and biting my nails?

I have picked and bitten my nails for most of my life.


What does this mean? And how can I stop?


I don't want superficial solutions. I want solutions that address underlying causes--perhaps psychological.How can I stop picking and biting my nails?
what worked for me was getting a manicure and seeing how good they looked %26amp; then i wanted them to always look that good so i pretty much stopped..How can I stop picking and biting my nails?
Try eating lollipop instead of nails. Find foods which are a lot tastier.





Behavioral treatments are based in discouraging the habit and replace it with a more constructive habit. The most common treatment, as it is cheap and widely available, is a special clear nail polish that has to be applied to the nails. It releases a bitter flavor on contact with the mouth which discourages the habit. There are also mouthpieces that prevent biting





Some patients have found professional behavioral therapy to be beneficial on its own or as a complement to medication when simpler measure are not effective. The first part of nail biting therapy consists of Habit Reversal Training (HRT), a four part process that seeks to ';unlearn'; the habit of nail biting and possibly replace it with a more constructive habit. In addition to HRT, stimulus control therapy is used to both identify and then eliminate the stimulus that frequently triggers biting urges
Generally it is as a result of environment I think if you check you'll find as a child someone in your family maybe an older roll model had the habit and you have picked up on it. Other than that there are no underlying causes, so superficial may be all your going to get to cure it unfortunately.Advice on how to break the habit may include superficial solutions like soap under the nails. False nails to protect from the desire and an acceptance by you that they look horrible and women are right in looking at Mens finger ends and saying I would dread the thought of those horrible things inside me. Sounds to me like you actually want someone to say your a headcase well if that's what you want then OK your a headcase
The manicure idea is a good one.


Something I did was stop one nail at a time, so that one grew and looked good and it gave me the incentive to continue.


Another thing was to get some micropore (surgical tape a bit like thin plaster, from Boots) and just wrapped a bit round my finger, I picked on this instead


I still nibble them and pick them when I am upset, so don't expect it to go away completely
stop trying to blame bad habits on psychological issues... i doubt that issues in your past forces one to bite and pick ones nails. just realise that it is a bad habit, think about how dirty your hands are (not your fault thought) because everything you touch has been touched by other people and who knows what they have touched and not washed their hands...
Paint the nails with Bittrex - ask your pharmacist. Nail-biting and thumb sucking is a residual reaction to cessation of breast or bottle-feeding and is also a form of self-affirmation.
biting you nails = nervous. Just relax, because nervous will make everything worst.
I chew my nails BAD I don't know why and I am 20 and I never did till I was a little over 18 and haven't stopped since then... whats the deal....if you get a good answer let me know
Put like something on there that tastes reallly bitter.


Worked for me.


Or cut them uber short.
what i did was put something that really tasted REALLY bad like marmite(blc)





hope it helped


Gunner O.o
Wear boxing gloves ! simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment