Tuesday, August 24, 2010

When can I start trimming my baby guinea pigs nails?

I think they're about 6 weeks old. I was going to trim their nails, but I read on the guinea lynx site that you should start trimming them when they're 2 months old. Can I do it sooner?When can I start trimming my baby guinea pigs nails?
YES! it is best to start trimming their nails as soon as possible so they get used to it. Just be careful and cut a tiny bit off at a time. You don't want to cut the ';quick'; which will make their nail bleed for a while. But the earlier the better...just be careful! When can I start trimming my baby guinea pigs nails?
Basically nail trimming is done for your comfort and the GP's, so there is no set time to start but 3 or 4 months is usually plenty soon enough. If you find that you are getting scratched or pricked by the nails but that they are not really long enough to need trimming or retrimming, take a nail file or emory board and just remove the sharp tips.
It really depends on how long their nails are. Make sure you don't cut further then the pink part of its nail, or it'll start bleeding. Get them used to regular trimmings,so they feel comfortable.


My guinea pig got her nails cut once, and she started squirming and I almost cut off the whole nail, so my tips:


Give them a treat whilst cutting.


Get someone to hold the guinea pig, whilst you trim.


Cut their nails every 2-3 weeks.
no need -be sure the pig's habitat has a bit of concrete or heavy wood. the more the pig moves, the easier it is for the nails to stay trim on their own. the pig rarely needs to be picked up (for its own safety), so you don't have to worry about getting cut.
  • blemishes
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment