Saturday, August 21, 2010

How often do you cut your dog's nails?

How often do you cut your dog's nails? And what type of clippers should I use? We want to go to Petsmart but if we can find similar products somewhere else, that would be great. We just got a 10 month old boxer, almost 65lbs.How often do you cut your dog's nails?
It depends on the dog and it's activities. You should be able to look at the nails and tell whether or not they need trimming. Dogs that walk on cement often may never, or rarely require trimming. If the dog has dewclaws, those will probably need more regular trimming because they don't touch the ground.





Doggy nail clippers are most often sold at any grocery or drug store, if you don't want to go to PetSmart.How often do you cut your dog's nails?
I have a boxer too, usually once every 2-3 weeks is good enough. The more often you do it the easier it gets on the dog. He/she gets used to it and the quick actually retreats a little bit each time. Be careful not to cut too short as you will cut the quick and cause a little bleeding(painful for the dog). The bleeding will stop in a few minutes or even better they sell a powder to absorb the blood and stop the bleeding. Clear nails are easier cut, you can see the quick, so be extra careful on the dark nails.
I returned every clipper I got from Petsmart, normally a great store, but they had an awful selection. I ended up getting mine from ebay that is a professional style clipper for cheaper (including s/h) than the ones I got in store. Grinders are nice, but not in my budget. Look for high quality stainless steel, and I'm really not a fan of guillotine style. Hope this helps.
I don't use clippers, there is to much of a risk to cut the quick of the nail.


I use a nail drimmel, you can buy them at drugstores or walmart type places. I think they mightsell them especially for dogs at Petsmart.





I cut my Pug's nails about every 2 weeks. Her nails grow at rapid speed though. I'd cut them whenever they need it.
I cut and file my dog's nails at least once a week..





I just use regular nail clippers.. and I have a cheapie electric nail file that I got at walmart around christmas time for $10.. I file his nails because he's hairless and scratches the crap out of his skin when he itches otherwise.
I try to do it weekly. Use the clippers that are most comfortable for you. Some people do better with the pliers-type, some prefer the guillotine.





FWIW, I've found that it's easier to take small slices off with the guillotine ones.
I clip them every week, or when I can hear them scraping the ground, with these special guillotine clippers from the petshop (before I just used my step dads nail clippers) and I also file them when I can. He really enjoys it! Quiet as a mouse.
I trim my dogs nails once a week.





I own a breed that's nails grow like crazy!





I use a dremmel tool device, it is a lot better for the nails.
I trim every 4 weeks with a regular dog nail clipper. I put on flea stuff at the same time. When I have to do both, I'm much less likely to forget either.





Good luck!
hope this helps
my dog has never had her nails clipped, although she may need it done now as she hasnt been out for 5 weeks
I grind my dogs' nails every 2 weeks.. I use a cordless dremel.
check out the peticure.com..
do you no where to cut them without cutting the bloodline?????any online petmeds,dog.com,fostersmith

1 comment:

Pet lover said...

My girlfriend uses this on her pups too. She raves about it. I'm lucky that Ginger's nails get a "natural pedicure" from the walks we take.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Dog nail grinder reviews

Post a Comment