Saturday, August 21, 2010

Why does nails on a chalkboard make you squirm?

Why is it that when someone scratches their nails on a chalkboard that you squirm, flinch, hold your ears, etc? Heck, I have a friend that screams. How come some people don't mind it and can do it themselves, when I practically die listening to it?Why does nails on a chalkboard make you squirm?
KarateKrazy,





It is psychological. With practice you can overcome this feeling or if you like you can make yourself react negatively to this feeling. Imagination is a very powerful thing. To overcome this problem you must first learn what senses are stimulated. Once you do that then you can teach yourself not to be offended.





By the way, like you name....Why does nails on a chalkboard make you squirm?
I think also because it's such an intense sound that we're not used to hearing often. If we were to hear it over %26amp; over during the day we'd probably grow a bit immune to it...a bit. I actually clinch my teeth together over %26amp; over when I hear that sound. I hate it haha.

Report Abuse



I'm with you, it bothers me a lot. I think it does because of the pitch and intensity of the sound. Other than that, the texture of a chalkboard is weird and just thinking about scratching it makes me cringe.
I don't mind it and i think that people whose mind are not quite good enough to stand up to the slightest most miniscule mount of discomfort and blow it up to the level of torture within themselves are more likely to live with their parents or become retarded for the rest of their lives
I don't
i have no clue i guess just the sound....... of it makes ppl act weird
yes it bother me
Doesn't.
I LOVE that sound...!
doesn't bother me any at all
It's that high-pitched squeaking sound that irritates a lot of people, me included. Other people either pay no attention to it or can't hear it!
the sound is creepy and you think that the person's nails are gonna bend back and break off or something like that when they're scratching the chalkboard. i usually scream and beg for the person to stop. one time in 3rd grade i cried becuz it scared the heck out of me.
  • blemishes
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment