Saturday, August 21, 2010

What is the best tool for clipping my dogs nails?

Right now I use regular nail clippers on my puppy and the scissor kind on the adults. I used to use the kind where the blade came up to meet a non moving piece but that seemed to leave the nail very jagged. I saw an infomircial awhile back about an electic file type thing that filed the nail down instead of cutting it and they said there was no way to hit the quick with it. Dose anyone know if it works and what its called?What is the best tool for clipping my dogs nails?
I would recommend it. Personally, most dogs I have met, have had someone cut the ';quick'; of their nail and cause them pain. That is why most dogs don't like having their nails cut. I used to file my dog's nails with a course nail file (from the beauty supply). My dog's ( even with past trauma) were fine with it, because they knew I wasn't going to hurt them. I think that file will be great. Just don't file it too short at first. Give them a chance to get used to it. Then you can file them a bit shorter.What is the best tool for clipping my dogs nails?
I saw that contraption, too.





I use a dremil tool. It has a cylinder of sand paper revolving at a high rate and does a stellar job. Start out using the ';lo'; setting till you get used to handing it and the dog gets used to the experience. Even on my hard-headed hound who has foot issues, it works great. I wouldn't use anything but.








As for that contraption on TV, I trust the Dremel, it absolutely will not leave a jagged edge....which in pet assisted therapy is absolutely essential for the comfort of the people visited.





Hope that helps.
please get a regular nail file(for dogs ofcourse)...DONT buy a nail clipper!!! Read on it if u do it anyways...u can hit the quick and he'll bleed like a mother! In some dogs, the quick can be up to the tip of the nail!!! (my vet told me!!) I risked it wit mine by only cutting one nail and he started bleeding like crazy...i started crying myself...i could just imagine his pain! Now im too paranoid so i'd rather use a nail file
Haven't you seen that commercial on TV for ';Peticure';? It doesn't involve clipping and is supposed to be the safest way to trim dog/cat nails.
I believe what you're talking about is a Dremel file and they work extremely well, especially if you have dogs with thick, tough nails.
You can hit the quick with anything.


I just use a regular nail file, but i have a mega laid back Pug.
my friend has it and she says its great. she uses it on her german shepherd,cats, and bunny. its called pedicure elite dog trimmer
Go to any local pet store and ask for toenail clippers for your dog. They'll recommend you the best kind.
u can buy nail clippers for dogs. that is best. or use finger nail or toe nail clippers
use a sanding block with 80 or 100 grit
I am lazy-I pay someone to cut my dog's hair and nails

No comments:

Post a Comment